[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Aug 2 15:55:56 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/8/2 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> Oh, I'm so sorry, I just read the reverse of what you mean. Indeed, we
>> agreed on that. Sorry again., maybe I should restrain when the
>> temperature is more than 32 Celsius.
>
> It can be confusing, I know! We have a 90 message long thread and
> we're agreeing! ;-)
>
> Tu sum up:
>
> Peter and I have a rough consensus how to go forward. Dagobert doesn't
> like the 2.6+2.7 packages idea. Yann would prefer the CSWpy27- prefix.
> One undecided thing is if it's okay for the Python modules to drop the
> dependency on the interpreter(s).

Yes. We agree. A lot of steps were made forward. Thank you.

> I see how the 2.6+2.7 packages are ugly but I think they're a decent
> pragmatic choice. It's true that the upgrade can be done with a small
> shell script on each system, but requiring all users to run this makes
> our package catalog harder to use, and I'm sure we would be getting
> emails from people having problems. If we ship the dual packages,
> things will just work.

I thought about a script to re-package all the current modules and not a
script that the user need to run. Their upgrade will be made by natural
way, i.e. pkgutil --upgrade. Maybe there are corner cases but don't
forget that the big bang will take place only when we transition our
unstable.

--
Peter