[csw-maintainers] Our infrastructure on Solaris 9

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Tue Aug 6 18:04:25 CEST 2013

On 06/08/2013 12:36, Laurent Blume wrote:
> On 06/08/13 11:45, James Lee wrote:
>>
>> Thus only old system packages are provided to maintain old
>> installations. Anyone using an old operating system will be more
>> satisfied with an old working set than a newer broken one.
>
> I'll respectfully disagree there. If they're interested in old crap,
> they've got the Companion CD already.

The current OpenCSW Solaris 9 packages are both newer and more numerous
than the Companion CD's.

> Requests I've seen so far were from people wanting to run very recent
> software (Samba 3.6, OpenSSL 1.0, etc) on old systems (S8 or S9).
>
> I'm not saying the snapshot is not useful. Of course it is. But I
> believe it won't satisfy the requests of those people running obsolete
> OS's.

You are not disagreeing with me.  I'm not saying what Solaris 9 users
want.  I'm only saying what I want and making my recommendation to
OpenCSW which isn't to work as unpaid slaves for people running obsolete
operating systems.

I did say Solaris 9 users would prefer [more satisfied, not satisfied]
working old packages to none [non-working] but that's basic logic as
those not liking old can choose not to take the offer so making it no
worse than none.

James.