[csw-maintainers] Buildfarm setup - documentation

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 3 16:12:34 CEST 2013

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 03.10.2013 um 15:57 schrieb Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:
>>> Adding another ISA as option will probably take quite some time.
>>> Peter, do you think your use case is common enough to justify the
>>> extra work for Yann? Would using a VM on a more modern machine
>>> be also possible?
>>
>> Using a VM, even on modern machine, has it's own inconvenients and,
>> frankly, who can imagine a build farm on VMs? It requires bare metal for
>> a lot of reasons.
>
> Umh, the buildfarm you use runs on VMs ;-) That include all *x hosts.
> What reasons do you have in mind preventing running a farm on
> virtualized environments?

I know that. And suffer from that, don't get me wrong but at least on
i386 the build times are often one order of magnitude slower than on my
similar bare metal on which, of course, I'm alone. It's often more easier
to get a bunch of oldish bare metal than have a server capable of
well supporting VMs at a reasonable performance. And I'm not even
mentioning SPARC bare metal versus virtualization for which I have not
enough experience.

Anyhow, the point is not this, the point is that we have stuff which
doesn't run on the lowest denominator that we support and that can be
quite surprising, even for me.
--
Peter