[csw-maintainers] Samba 4

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Mon Sep 2 18:20:05 CEST 2013

On 02/09/13 17:47, slowfranklin wrote:
> Samba 4 includes all Samba 3 binaries, libs and stuff and can be used a drop-in upgrade.

I've read that there are some configuration changes. Would an existing
configuration just work with no change?

> Hey, it's targetting unstable, isn't it? :)
> And the Samba 4 series is now already at 4.0.9 iirc with a first 4.1 about to be released soon, so we better catch up. :)

Well, I'm all in favour of having Samba 4 :-)
But not at the cost of removing Samba 3 from unstable.

We have to be realistic here: "testing" on OpenCSW is not usable in any
of the production environments I've worked in.
It's simply not upgraded enough. We're not a Linux distro, we don't have
the resources to backport patches to older versions to keep them secure.
That's why I use unstable on my critical production boxes, with as much
staging as I can.

> They have the same origin, not a different one, so it's simply a package upgrade. It's major revision bump, but it _should_ be compatible. So I propose we test it out if it really is.

Ok, so it means it's no longer needed to provide it with Samba 3 once
the version from v4 is delivered? Good.

> Switch to OpenCSW testing or don't upgrade unstable.

We can't tell people that. Seriously.

> I said "no support" which was meant to express it's not run by anything.

Okay, I still don't get it, I'll need to look at the thing :-)

Laurent