[csw-maintainers] Samba 4

Laurent Blume laurent at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 3 11:36:34 CEST 2013

On 03/09/13 09:24, Peter FELECAN wrote:
> This is a recurrent argument. If it had prevailed we still provide
> packages for Solaris 8.

Let me repeat it again, in the hope you will read it this time: I am
advocating only keeping SUPPORTED VERSIOBS.

<snip irrelevant comments about an obsolete unsupported system>

> Note that Solaris 10 U11 provides Samba 3.6.8

It's patched to 3.6.15, actually. And I've pushed 3.6.18 to OpenCSW.

I am using OpenCSW's Samba on Solaris 10 because Sun and now Oracle
update path is a complete blackhole, and impossible to predict or
influence. They are updating it now, but who knows why or for how long?

> As a reminder, our goal is to provide an up to date, i.e. state of the
> art, package set for Solaris 10 and greater. Samba 4.0.9 corresponds to
> this definition.

Gee, thank you very much. That had just completely escaped me.
But luckily, Samba 3.6.18 also corresponds to that definition, just as
GnuPG 1.4.14 and MySQL 5.5.33.

Peter, I am asking you to please make more effort to read other people's
posts and not distort their meaning.

Thanks.

Laurent