[csw-maintainers] Samba 4

slowfranklin slowfranklin at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 3 11:40:04 CEST 2013

Am 02.09.2013 um 18:45 schrieb Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org>:

> On 2013-09-02 7:15 PM, slowfranklin wrote:
>> Well, Samba 4.0 is the current *stable* Samba release series.
>
> Yup, but 3.6 is still actively maintained (and 3.5 too for security,
> actually).

I know.

>> But we can tell people: why are you sticking with 3.x when upgrading to 4.y is a non issue?
>
> «Because my boss says so», «because my software is only supported for
>
> Believe me, a major version change is an issue that should not be
> underestimated just because it *should* work (and I'm not an advocate of
> just staying on old unmaintained versions, but staying on old,
> *supported* version does makes sense).

This argument would effectively prevent any major version upgrade in unstable, because for every upgrade someone may have concerns.
You're tracking an unstable catalog. The lack of a stable catalog is bad enough off itself, but if we let that influence too much the way we add packages to the unstable catalog, we make things worse, not better.

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand your concerns and whole heartedly agree that I wouldn't want my production Samba 3.6 installation being upgraded without need. If others agree I'm open to use a 4 suffix for the package.

>> In Samba 4 you still have smbd, nmdb, winbindd. Additionally you have
>> a new binary named `samba' which is the one used for the whole AD
>> stuff. But you can still run only smbd and friends. The updated
>> package will use the exiting init/SMF stuff so it will only run smbd,
>> nmdb and possibly winbindd by default. Anybody who wants to run a AD
>> DC must disable these and roll his own mechanims for starting `samba'
>> (until we get around adding a default disabled SMF manifest or
>> similar).
>
> How is this started at boot if not using init or SMF?

As I was trying to explain repeatedly, it is NOT started at boot. It refers to the `samba' binary.

-slow