[csw-maintainers] Samba 4

slowfranklin slowfranklin at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 3 16:04:39 CEST 2013

Am 03.09.2013 um 15:49 schrieb Laurent Blume <laurent at opencsw.org>:

> On 03/09/13 14:45, slowfranklin wrote:
>> Well, we'll also need versioned libraries like CSWsamba4-libwclient0,
>> CSWsamba4-libsmbclient0.
>
> For that specific library, actually, it should not be needed, bad
> example ;-)

No? Why not?! Otherwise we'd have the same package (eg CSWlibwbclient0) built from two different recipes uploaded to the catalog. Am I missing sth?

> Okay, I see what you mean, but I don't see it as a problem: mgar, pkgchk and friends make it all too easy to handle.
>
>> Well, since others (Debian, Fedora, ArchLinux) were all going for an
>> inplace upgrade, I considered that the obvious choice for an unstable
>> rolling catalog.
>
> At least for Debian, that's not the case: they're planning on phasing out Samba 3, but it's not close at all.

Hold on. I was not referring to what Debian as a whole achieves by using different catalogs/distributions or backports. I said "obvious choice for an unstable rolling catalog" which would be unstable/sid in the Debian case. And apparently Debian is going to use an unversioned Samba 4 package in sid.

-slow