[csw-maintainers] Evaluating Gentoo Prefix

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Sep 23 16:43:57 CEST 2013

"Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński" <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:

> 2013/9/23 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> This is a strange affirmation. How the heck I'm working on a build farm
>> since more than eight years? C'mon...
>
> You probably haven't tried setting up a shared database recently. What
> we have is a very old install on a really beefy machine. That install
> has been tweaked on-the-fly multiple times. It's not like you can
> follow the instructions from http://wiki.opencsw.org/checkpkg#toc4 and
> they will work on a virtual machine.
>
> In January this year, I've attempted to make an instructional video
> how to set up a private buildfarm. I've realized that using the
> resources I had at home, it was impossible. Therefore, we don't have a
> working set of code. There is the development version, but it's not
> finished.
>
> If you don't believe me, you can try to set up a shared database, here
> are the instructions: http://wiki.opencsw.org/checkpkg#toc4 - unless
> you have a very beefy machine, it will fail.

Well, this is not equivalent to "not having the code for the build
farm". What we have here is that you cannot have a build farm on virtual
machines, only on bare metal and the metal should be quite "beefy". From
my stand point, the characteristics of the infrastructure is part of the
documentation for constructing a build farm, isn't it?

As an aside, I think that you can set up a build farm on a no trivially
configured virtual machine, e.g. multi-core assignment, &c, which result
in having a "beefy" host and that is equivalent to having a "beefy"
metal...

--
Peter