Solaris 9 support to be removed from GCC upstream

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 3 10:41:09 CEST 2014

I tried building GCC from Subversion on Solaris 9 last night, here's what I saw:

checking whether ldgetname is declared... no
checking whether times is declared... yes
checking whether sigaltstack is declared... yes
checking whether madvise is declared... yes
checking for struct tms... yes
checking for clock_t... yes
checking for F_SETLKW... yes
checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
*** Configuration sparc-sun-solaris2.9 is obsolete.
*** Specify --enable-obsolete to build it anyway.
*** Support will be REMOVED in the next major release of GCC,
*** unless a maintainer comes forward.
gmake[2]: *** [configure-stage1-gcc] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/maciej/src/gcc-objdir-svn-sparc-5.9'
gmake[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/maciej/src/gcc-objdir-svn-sparc-5.9'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
maciej at unstable9s :~/src >

We haven't built GCC for Solaris 9 in a long while, the version we've
got in the 5.9 repo is 4.6. I was looking if we can refresh it, and I
wanted to report potential compilation errors, but I guess I won't.