Low traffic on maintainers@

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 6 20:43:34 CET 2014

Hi Jon,

Am 06.01.2014 um 19:31 schrieb Jonathan Craig <jon.craig at craigslanding.net>:
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Ben Walton via buildfarm
>> I was recently surprised when a user declined becoming a maintainer
>> because even after watching the video they thought it was still dark
>> magic. I don't have a way to gauge the skills of this person, so I
>> can't measure the person against the problem, but it was still
>> noteworthy.
>>

> I must admit that my interaction with the build environment leaves me 1) amazed
> at the flexibility and power included, 2) frustrated that every time I use it
> I find myself relearning and/or struggling to figure out the process
> as it seems
> to subtly change in ways that you'll only know if you follow the dev
> list closely and
> commit the stuff mentioned on there to memory.

That is not good. However, I have the impression that we don’t have the manpower
to bring it to a „stable“ state.

> I'm also faced with moving past Solaris 10 and the only viable pkg repo is
> unixpackages.com, the commercial follow-on to sunfreeware.  The pricing is
> reasonable enough and my  past experience with sunfreeware leads me to
> believe the packaging quality will be good.

Do you think there would be more users if we were to offer an IPS repo?

> My preference is for a community supported repository solution as the
> attention span of corporations can be limited.  My worst nightmare would be
> to have my eggs in a blastwave type basket and have it fold underneath me.

Do you mean by Blastwave-type a project where only binary packages are offered
(like unixpackages now) ?

Best regards

  — Dago