updated binutils for solaris 9

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 20 14:43:43 CEST 2015

Hi,

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Updating gnulinks is tricky. It goes like this: /opt/csw/gnu contains links to
> GNU programs without the „g“-prefix. Historically these links were shipped by
> CSWgnulinks. Then we got smarter and each packages shipped his own links
> (like CSWgmake ships /opt/csw/gnu/make) and they were removed one by one from
> CSWgnulinks. Both the updated package (e.g. CSWgmake) and CSWgnulinks need to
> be updated in sync and uploaded in the same run. As there have been no releases
> on Solaris 9 you need to investigate starting from the version of CSWgnulinks
> shipped in Solaris 9 which links have been updated and upload only that to
> Solaris 9 catalog. I suggest you undo the change to gnulinks/trunk and make
> a new branch for Solaris 9. Please keep in mind at the moment the Solaris 9
> catalog works and it should prio 1 to not leave it in broken state.

If I understand correctly, it means that gnulinks shouldn't be necessary
and that I need to remove link after link if i update the packages on
Solaris 9 and for now I should remove only the things provided by
binutils and in the future new stuff i would try to update?

Explain e more about the branch, I think this is the part I asked many
times on how to handle diversities between solaris versions, right?
Tell me how to work with branches in mgar... like how to do it, branch
each single package? I suppos we want to have some sort of "solaris 9"
branch and keep the differences as small as possible

Riccardo