updated binutils for solaris 9

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 20 14:50:00 CEST 2015

Hi Riccardo,

> Am 20.04.2015 um 14:43 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <rmottola at opencsw.org>:
> Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> Updating gnulinks is tricky. It goes like this: /opt/csw/gnu contains links to
>> GNU programs without the „g“-prefix. Historically these links were shipped by
>> CSWgnulinks. Then we got smarter and each packages shipped his own links
>> (like CSWgmake ships /opt/csw/gnu/make) and they were removed one by one from
>> CSWgnulinks. Both the updated package (e.g. CSWgmake) and CSWgnulinks need to
>> be updated in sync and uploaded in the same run. As there have been no releases
>> on Solaris 9 you need to investigate starting from the version of CSWgnulinks
>> shipped in Solaris 9 which links have been updated and upload only that to
>> Solaris 9 catalog. I suggest you undo the change to gnulinks/trunk and make
>> a new branch for Solaris 9. Please keep in mind at the moment the Solaris 9
>> catalog works and it should prio 1 to not leave it in broken state.
>
> If I understand correctly, it means that gnulinks shouldn't be necessary and that I need to remove link after link if i update the packages on Solaris 9 and for now I should remove only the things provided by binutils and in the future new stuff i would try to update?

Right.

> Explain e more about the branch, I think this is the part I asked many times on how to handle diversities between solaris versions, right?
> Tell me how to work with branches in mgar... like how to do it, branch each single package? I suppos we want to have some sort of "solaris 9" branch and keep the differences as small as possible

That depends. For gnulinks the packages are completely different so I would
just make a copy of trunk to branches/solaris9. For other packages which share
almost all of the code you may add the PACKAGING_PLATFORMS and use conditional
assignments. If in doubt, branch for Solaris 9 as the changes are usually not
needed in Solaris 10 and essentially the focus is going forward to 11.

Best regards

  — Dago