Install SMF's in standard locations

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 27 21:22:11 CET 2016

Hi Peter,

Am 27.01.2016 um 19:21 schrieb Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Carsten Grzemba <grzemba at contac-dt.de> writes:
>
>> Packages for x86 and Sparc: IPS can deliver both architectures in one package.
>
> Can or must ? If the former, we can just deliver mon architectural
> packages as we do today. I don't see where is the advantage of
> delivering multi-architectural packages. Is the transport/storage cost
> so low that we can ignore it now ?

Well, an IPS-package is usually not a blob but installed into a repository
server. A client retreives only the files he needs. This may add development
files for a library, localization files for the locales you like, optimized
and debug versions or just the correct ISA. It is easier for the user if
we provide combined packages and I don’t see any drawbacks (apart from
people who manually extract p5p-archives and transfer these to the clients
which would be very non-ips-lile).

Best regards

  — Dago