Install SMF's in standard locations

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 27 23:11:37 CET 2016

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 27.01.2016 um 19:21 schrieb Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
>> Carsten Grzemba <grzemba at contac-dt.de> writes:
>>
>>> Packages for x86 and Sparc: IPS can deliver both architectures in one package.
>>
>> Can or must ? If the former, we can just deliver mon architectural
>> packages as we do today. I don't see where is the advantage of
>> delivering multi-architectural packages. Is the transport/storage cost
>> so low that we can ignore it now ?
>
> Well, an IPS-package is usually not a blob but installed into a repository
> server. A client retreives only the files he needs. This may add development
> files for a library, localization files for the locales you like, optimized
> and debug versions or just the correct ISA. It is easier for the user if
> we provide combined packages and I don’t see any drawbacks (apart from
> people who manually extract p5p-archives and transfer these to the clients
> which would be very non-ips-lile).

Well, this shows my ignorance in terms of IPS packaging. The glimpse you
offer here makes me think that IPS is a different beast from any
packaging system that I'm used to. When I have some time to spend on it
I'll read about in more detail to understand it. Until then, I'll lurk
in these discussions.
--
Peter