Conduct unbecoming of a hacker

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Nov 7 13:58:29 CET 2016

Hey guys,

There are two main aspects to the article:

1. Rate of contributions dwindles down
2. When you try to contribute, you get turned down (
http://rachelnabors.com/2012/04/of-github-and-pull-requests-and-comics/)

I wanted to focus on the second aspect, and note that I think we're doing
rather well in that regard. The patch that the article autor proposes is
that possible grounds for patch rejection can be as follows:

- The patch has an obvious security vulnerability
- The project has a pre-existing, documented, design decision or policy
against the feature
- The patch violates a pre-existing, documented backwards compatibility
policy. In this case there should be a focus on merging the patch in a way
compliant with the policy, like in the next major version, etc.
- There is actual evidence, not mere speculation, that the patch has
significant downsides. For example, benchmarks showing degraded performance
on an important platform.
- The patch causes test failures

And the comment: "Notably absent from my list of objections is any concern
for project stability."