rebuilding gcc 4.8 on solaris 9

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 24 15:27:54 CEST 2020

Hi!

On 21/06/2020 18:26, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Am 20.06.2020 um 16:02 schrieb Riccardo Mottola via maintainers<maintainers at lists.opencsw.org>:
>> I am attempting to rebuild gcc 4.8.4 on solaris 9 (we have a branch for that) with the goal to get  it to 4.8.5 then...
> This is probably due to sparcv8plus vs. sparcv8 but this is only guesswork from me.
> Getting gcc to compile is actually pretty hard.

It is.. but e.g. in MacPorts things go quite smoothly. So it can be done
:) it is tedious, but I think it is worth.

I found this ih the current gcc4 (that is 4.9.3) makefile:

# We're not building GCC-4.7 on Solaris 9, because GCC-4.7 requires the
# sparcv8+ architecture.
# PACKAGING_PLATFORMS = solaris9-sparc solaris9-i386
PACKAGING_PLATFORMS += solaris10-sparc solaris10-i386

ISA_DEFAULT_sparc-5.9 = sparcv8plus
ISA_DEFAULT_i386-5.9  = pentium_pro

So indeed we need sparcv8+

But why can't we enable it on solaris9? If I remember correctly Solaris9
only runs on UltraSparc, thus v9 (and its 32bit v8+) and Solaris 8 was
the last OS with pure 32bit support.

Can't we just built it then?

In the 4.6.x build I see this instead:

# there could be some abstractions in gar.conf.mk, but at the moment there
# aren't so let's specify architectures by hand.
#
# This avoids the sparcv8+ binaries.
CPU_sparc_32 = v8
CPU_sparc_64 = v9