off-topic - broken T2000 - cpu error message

Riccardo Mottola rmottola at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 24 15:35:24 CEST 2020

Hi all!

I have a Netra T2000 which I use little (darn noisy, prefer my T1s...)
but I extra got to do some more in-house for BigEndian and SPARC support!

I got it working some months ago and I used it little (no big
compilations yet, I just familiarized and installed and tested OpenCSW
packages).

Suddenly, it doesn't boot anymore! Powers on, powers off... attaching a
serial console I see this error:

ERROR: No functional CPUs available
FATAL: No cpus in bootset
FATAL: The HOST Processor has a configuration error, forcing a power-down

Is my CPU really fried? I did not stress the system that much. I hope
that maybe the error is spurious.

At first, I thought the PROM battery died (it was loosing time lately)
so I replaced it, without gain.

I tried reseating the CPU (the contacts look slightly oxidyzed) without
a change. The CPU comes off with the whole heatsink, they look molded
together :) I guess the thermal paste dried like glue!

Riccardo