[csw-pkgsubmissions] (no subject)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 16 23:44:20 CET 2010

oh Good Lord.... attack of the optional dependancies :-)

 I appreciate that you want to add in "full functionality", Dago. But
perhaps it's time to consider splitting curl, into a "curl", and
"curl_fancy" or something? :-)
Nost people will only want just zlib and openssl support.
Adding in all this extra stuffs, could conceivably be annoying when
they watch the dependancy spam.

What about something like:

curl      - core client
curl_rt   - core-client shared lib
curl_fancy  -  "fancy" optional support libs, plus client compiled to use it.

People who want all the "extra" stuff, wont care that they are pulling
in both the client and the libs in one package.

in contrast, people who want something trimmed down and simplified,
will care about all the optional garbage, particularly if they just
want libcurl, and they dont even want the client binaries.

The naming is just a suggestion, I'm totally open to suggestions about
name and regrouping.
What do you think?