[csw-pkgsubmissions] (no subject)

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 17 09:52:31 CET 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 16.02.2010 um 23:44 schrieb Philip Brown:
> oh Good Lord.... attack of the optional dependancies :-)
>
> I appreciate that you want to add in "full functionality", Dago. But
> perhaps it's time to consider splitting curl, into a "curl", and
> "curl_fancy" or something? :-)
> Nost people will only want just zlib and openssl support.
> Adding in all this extra stuffs, could conceivably be annoying when
> they watch the dependancy spam.
>
> What about something like:
>
> curl      - core client
> curl_rt   - core-client shared lib
> curl_fancy  -  "fancy" optional support libs, plus client compiled
> to use it.
>
> People who want all the "extra" stuff, wont care that they are pulling
> in both the client and the libs in one package.
>
> in contrast, people who want something trimmed down and simplified,
> will care about all the optional garbage, particularly if they just
> want libcurl, and they dont even want the client binaries.
>
> The naming is just a suggestion, I'm totally open to suggestions about
> name and regrouping.
> What do you think?

Excellent idea! The dependency would go to the basic package
which installs mylib-basic.so and links low-pri via alternatives.
When CSWmylib-fancy is installed it changes the links via
higher priority automatically just by installing the new package.

This will also be useful for lots of other libs which could use
some more flavor, like neon where Sebastian noted that the
libproxy-dependency (correctly) pulls in X11 which may not
be expected.

I have updated
   http://wiki.opencsw.org/package-alternatives
accordingly.