[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs pm_textglob, pm_textwikifmt, pm_textw(...)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Nov 11 19:45:03 CET 2010

On 11/11/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> Am 11.11.2010 um 18:38 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> I hate temporary renames.
>> Especially when they come in clumps.
>>
>> Is there some kind of long-term plan for all this?
>
> The problem is that quite a lot users utilize the OpenCSW packages
> for Perl modules to run their own applications. That means we could
> drop the original packages after a "guaranteed" upgrade cycle
> (which we don't have right now, like 201010 to 201011 snapshots).
> But even then the packages need to be released with renames first
> so they can be propery tracked and upgraded on the systems.

okay. well, then... if you want us to handle things like a
professional service provider.. then we need to do it professionally.
With a properly drawn up project,and timetables, and "announcements to
affected users", etc.

Would you please draw up a specific plan/ascii doc/whatever, identifying

"These packages are going to be name-sanitized"

Then also identify "they will be completed&released on date X/Y/Z,
with temporary transition packages being released also"

and then "the temporary update packages will be REMOVED by date A/B/C"
and a full list of those packages that will be removed in that section.

[The reason for the "they will be completed by" date, is that we can
then provide our users with a guaranteed specific time window of 'no
change expected' between that date, and the removal of the transition
packages]

(you should probably also identify which packages of OURS, gate the
removal of those packages until they are updated)

Once we have all this stuff identified and timetabled, then we can
announce it to our users, and then we can start actually pushing this
stuff out. ugh.

I've made a subdir in newpkgs, named "dam", with your pm_ packages in
it, so you can queue stuff up there in the meantime, if you wish.