[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs dialog

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 5 18:17:31 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Feb 05 09:53:03 -0500 2011:

> Customers have previously filed bug reports, and emailed complaints,
> about certain packages having needless dependancies and thus forcing
> download of more than they need/want.  Sorry I dont have a
> convenient reference for this.  You can also consider googling for
> comments about why some people didnt like blastwave packaging. One
> of the complaints people blogged about, was because it duplicated
> packages already present in solaris.  I dont think that attitude has
> suddenly changed either.

While I'm personally ok with dependencies that add great (eye of the
beholder of course) functionality and don't mind a few extra kb
sitting around, the thing that really matters here is that you're
personally willing to roll the 'lite' version. :)

Alternatives makes it easy to provide both versions and that is a
definite win regardless of which side of the fence you prefer.

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton