[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_webpy

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 22 14:21:30 CET 2011

No dia 20 de Janeiro de 2011 20:04, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> Hm. Okay, that's what the policy currently says. We didnt really do a
> very deep analysis on this sort of aspect of the policy though, that I
> recall.
> (well known, non-standalone python thing).
> Maybe its time to look at this more explicitly.
>
> ls py* |egrep -v py_|awk -F- '{print $1}'
>

> in the main dir, gives a fair number of things that might be in this category.
>
> pychecker

We can remove it entirely - superseded by pylint.  (standalone)

> pyclearsilver

Python module.

> pydes

Python module.

> pydocutils

The software is named 'docutils' and provides executables into
/opt/csw/bin; however, there isn't a 'docutils' executable.  I'd say -
it's not a standalone program.

> pyeyed3

Python module, rename.

> pygobject

Module.

> pygtk

Module.

> pylint

Standalone.

> pymxbase

Module.

> pymysql

Module.

> pyorbit

Module.

> pypgsql

Module.

> pysetuptools

Module.

> pysqlite

Module.

> pysqlite2

Module.

> pysvn

Module.

> pythonsvn

Module.

> pyxml

Module.

> pyyaml

Module, already renamed to py_yaml.

> pyzor

Standalone.

> Some of those, I think are good candiates for "should be renamed to py_xxx".
> Some, I have no idea of.
>
> As the python maintainer, is it your stance that ALL of these should
> be renamed to py_xxx?
>
> I would ask you to make your decision not merely on "yes because thats
> what the policy says now", but, "is that what is going to make the
> most sense to our users"?
> I would also ask you to carefully consider each one as an individual,
> rather than just making a blanket decision without careful inspection.

Sure.  What criteria should be applied?  What kinds of cases should be
special enough to break the rules?

When building new versions of these packages, maintainers will be
confronted with a checkpkg error.  They will have the opportunity to
review their packages and rename them if they decide to do so.