[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_webpy

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jan 24 04:34:26 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun Jan 23 22:02:29 -0500 2011:
>
>> I dunno... I think that might be setting a bad precedent for
>> frivolous creation of empty packages down the road
>
> It's only frivolous if it doesn't serve a purpose.  In this case, it
> does serve a purpose...that of making it easier from someone to obtain
> the package they want while keeping our naming consistent.
>
> I wonder if a feature like:
>
> (pkgutil|pkg-get) list '*webpy*'
> py_webpy - A python web framework (version: $VERSION)
>
> wouldn't help to solve this problem too.  It's a feature I use with
> yum on a fairly regular basis.

pkg-get -D webpy

would indeed show it.
(-D for Descriptions)

but with a "well known name", I think people are more likely to search
for well-known-name, and presume "it's not there" if not found.

eg:

pkg-get install perl

"failed? okay, they dont have perl."

not "hmm.. maybe I need to search all packages with perl in the
description, maybe they've named it something more interesting".

Okay, an extreme example, but it hopefully makes my point.