[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs ascii

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 29 10:01:21 CEST 2011

Hi Phil,

Am 28.03.2011 um 21:59 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Am 28.03.2011 um 20:09 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>> Erm... isnt this already pretty much covered by "od" ?
>>
>> Nope, "od" is a dumper in various formats whereas "ascii" prints the ascii table
>> with different number formats. It is written by Eric Raymond btw.
>
> Aha. good to know.
> how about improving the description then? it isnt very clear.

It is not?
  "Provides easy conversion between various byte representations and ASCII"

You can also do things besides table printing like

> dam at login [login]:/home/dam/mgar/pkg/ascii/trunk/work/solaris9-sparc/pkgroot/opt/csw/bin > ./ascii SOH
> ASCII 0/1 is decimal 001, hex 01, octal 001, bits 00000001: called ^A, SOH
> Official name: Start Of Heading

> I think what you just wrote, above, would be a better one. with
> perhaps a minor improvement:
>
> "prints out the full ascii table in different number formats"
>
> ?
>

> as a side comment to answer Ben's one:
> Yes, there is a reason to not package and release redundant software.
> We already have more packages than are properly maintained and updated.
> Adding yet Another package, and one we dont even need, would be
> counter  productive.

I see this differently. If there is a new common software that does the
same as an old one the new one should be packages and the old one
dropped. We have to see that we keep par with a casual Linux distro.
Otherwise some user may look at "I know software foo, where is it?
Not there? Sucks." while providing just the new one or both would have
worked. If it is useful it will be updated.