[csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs ascii

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 29 20:53:16 CEST 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 28.03.2011 um 21:59 schrieb Philip Brown:
>
>> Aha. good to know.
>> how about improving the description then? it isnt very clear.
>
> It is not?
>  "Provides easy conversion between various byte representations and ASCII"

well, that sounds too close to what "od" does, hence my initial confusion :-/

> You can also do things besides table printing like
>
>> dam at login [login]:/home/dam/mgar/pkg/ascii/trunk/work/solaris9-sparc/pkgroot/opt/csw/bin > ./ascii SOH
>> ASCII 0/1 is decimal 001, hex 01, octal 001, bits 00000001: called ^A, SOH
>> Official name: Start Of Heading

So, it recognizes "nicknames" for ascii chars as well.Nice

Hmmm..

I was going to attempt to "improve" my old summary, but why not just
take the debian description:

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ascii

"interactive ASCII name and synonym chart "

>> as a side comment to answer Ben's one:
>> Yes, there is a reason to not package and release redundant software.
>> We already have more packages than are properly maintained and updated.
>> Adding yet Another package, and one we dont even need, would be
>> counter  productive.
>
> I see this differently. If there is a new common software that does the
> same as an old one the new one should be packages and the old one
> dropped.

Well, that is not "the same as an old one".
That is "better than an old one". In which case, I very much am in
favor of "new one should be packaged and the old one dropped"