[csw-users] Newbie question - Archive search

James Lee james at blastwave.org
Wed Apr 13 10:20:59 CEST 2005

On 12/04/05, 19:40:15, Bob Doolittle <Robert.Doolittle at Sun.COM> wrote
regarding [csw-users] Newbie question - Archive search:

> I'll cut to the chase - has "evince" been discussed
> as a potential project? Sol x86 *desperately* needs
> a decent PDF viewer, since acroread is not available.

Acroread 4 is available:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobatreader/unix/4.x/sunx86-ar-405.tar.gz

You might not consider it decent.

> I'm aware of xpdf, gpdf, pdflaunch, and ggv, but they're
> all missing functionality (e.g. text selection/copy, and
> only xpdf has a search function).

I'm about to release pstotext as a package which will allow gsview
to search for text.  I currently have on test before first release,
you can try it here:

http://blastwave.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/csw/users/james/pstotext-1.9
-SunOS5.8-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
http://blastwave.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/csw/users/james/pstotext-1.9
-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz

gsview + pstotext allows searching for strings in Postscript
as well as in PDF.

I prefer acroread 4 for PDF viewing.