[csw-users] Unable to run apache from read-only filesystem

Oscar del Rio delrio at mie.utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 12 22:27:59 CET 2005

We install all CSW stuff on a file server and export
it read-only to servers and workstations.

I tried to run apache on a server with /opt/csw/apache
NFS mounted, with local configuration /etc/apache/conf/httpd.conf
edited so that log files and document root are defined in
/etc/apache/logs and /etc/apache/htdocs and then running
/opt/csw/apache/bin/httpd -f /etc/apache/conf/httpd.conf

I get the error

Ouch! ap_mm_create(1048576, "/opt/csw/apache/logs/httpd.mm.19880")
failed
Error: MM: mm:core: failed to open semaphore file (Read-only file
system): OS: No such file or directory

There is no configuration for the path of the httpd.mm file, it
seems to be always relative to the Server Root.

#/opt/csw/apache/bin/httpd -V
Server version: Apache/1.3.33 (Unix)
Server built:   Nov  5 2004 01:25:20
Server compiled with....
  -D EAPI_MM_CORE_PATH="logs/httpd.mm"

As a workaround, I made /opt/csw/apache/logs a symlink to
/etc/apache/logs on the NFS server but it is going to
break at the next package upgrade.

Should I file a bug requesting that the httpd.mm file be
configured outside the server root, perhaps in /var/run?

Anyone can think of another solution or a problem with
having httpd.mm in /var/run?

Thanks

Oscar