[csw-users] FAM and Solaris 10

Ihsan Dogan ihsan at dogan.ch
Tue Jun 21 23:22:15 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, 21 Jun 2005 15:58 -0400, Luke Youngblood wrote:

> Run inetconv and this should clear it up.  I was burned by this when trying
> to setup a Jumpstart server on Solaris 10.  Apparently, inetd has been
> completely rewritten and the config files are stored in XML now.  The
> inetconv program simply builds this XML from your existing (now legacy)
> inetd.conf.
>
> I personally think Sun is repeating the mistakes that Microsoft made when
> they invented the Windows registry.  Unix has always been great because it
> used flat text files for configuration which could easily be modified by
> perl scripts and the like.

You have still the possibility to edit the init scripts and
config files. For example look at the JES products. They have a
nice web-interface but you can still edit the configuration
files. It was never a problem there.

Sun is moving forward. Otherwise Solaris will be software museum.

Ihsan...

--
Swiss Unix User Group: http://www.suug.ch/
Software Packages for Solaris: http://www.blastwave.org/