[csw-users] How to use gcc to build from source, etc.?

Josh Kuperman josh.kuperman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 22:30:45 CEST 2005

I did find the documentation mentioned and ran the mkheaders script.
In order to get a decent test to see if understood things right, I
grabbed the Gnu Common Lisp Tarball from
http://directory.fsf.org/GNU/GCL.html and decided to build it.
I did get it working though I have to add other components TCL/Tk, and
TeX, for starters, to get the full build. (BTW, this is not a trivial
program to complie)

I did have a few problems. The first is I'm not really sure what "good
practice" is
when setting this stuff up. I found that the configure program was
checking for tons of programs that were installed when I installed
gcc3, but being gnu versions they all had 'g' in front of the name,
that the configure script was looking for.  I simply created symlinks
for these files as needed so ld would be found in /opt/csw/bin and
gld would be invoked. It aslo becam clear to me that I'm not building
optimal code, because I need to pass options to the compiler telling
it that I'm using two ROSS HyperSparc CPUs. I have no idea either what
the options are or  how to indicate this.

For some reason the How-To on getting directories and paths, etc.
don't seem to work for me. While I have been able to run FireFox after
reinstalling with Solaris 9 distro from 9/04, which also gave me a
useable gnome, I can not build the alternative Window Managers. KDE
shows up as an option, but I wind up back at the sign in screen after
two minuters when I try to use it. Also, for some reason, I can not
get my PATH, and MANPATH etc. set following the How-To, which I figure
is somehow related to having to use the Sun versions of CDE and gnome.

As this machine is slower than in should be - probably because I don't
have code built for the twin CPUs optimized to the machine, I hsould
probably rebuild most programs.

So I would appreciate it if people want to tell me what I did wrong,
or simply suggest, better ways to set up gcc3 and also, how on earth I
could find help on figuring out how to take advantage of  my decade
old high-end configuration. While most people who dealt with them are
probably still alive I doubt they would care. (I figure the twin
HyperSparc set up should run at least as fast as a 500MHz celeron -
and for morst apps, it's not). And needless to say until I'm trying to
rebuild some of the apps from source, I should really be asking
questions on the timeshifted sun users list (if one exists).

--
Josh Kuperman
josh.kuperman at gmail.com