[csw-users] "Proper" syntax highlighting with VIM?

John Tobin John.Tobin at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 1 22:36:31 CET 2005

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:07:13PM -0500, Luke Youngblood wrote:
> I've been pulling my hair out for a little while trying to get "proper"
> syntax highlighting working in VIM.  I've stuck my own vimrc file in
> /opt/csw/share/vim/vim63, and syntax highlight sort of works.  I get bold
> text and underlines, but that's it.  I want color highlighting, the same as
> I get on a vanilla install of Redhat.  I even tried copying the vimrc over
> from a Redhat box I have and that didn't work.
>

> Why is it that with the same terminal (PuTTY over SSH), same settings, I get
> only bold and underline text on a Solaris box, but my Redhat box will give
> me full color syntax highlighting?

Check the value of $TERM - it should be set to xterm-color.  I _think_
that the standard Linux terminfo database assumes that xterm can handle
colour, whereas Solaris' terminfo doesn't.  You could also export
TERMINFO="/opt/csw/share/terminfo" so that programs will use the more up
to date Blastwave terminfo database.

--
John Tobin
"This bears further investigation. Anyone care to admit ownership of an