[csw-users] bacula packages for testing

Alex S Moore asmoore at blastwave.org
Mon Mar 14 14:32:27 CET 2005

Hi, Luke

Luke Youngblood wrote:
> I hadn't heard of this package before, but a quick googling turned up some
> interesting info.  Alex, I'm just curious, do you find this to be a good
> solution for network backup?  How does it compare to a Veritas Netbackup or
> Legato Networker solution?  Does it support SCSI jukeboxes?  Thanks for the
> info and for interesting me in this package:

I have not migrated my small network to Bacula, so I cannot speak from
much experience.  At least, not at this time.  I think that it is a very
good product.  Veritas Netbackup is a very different solution from
Bacula.  If memory serves me, Netbackup will keep only one copy of a
file that is duplicated on many hosts.  I do not think that Bacula does
this.  I am not familiar with Legato Networker.

You may want to setup a test environment and see what you think.  Bacula
is used in large installations with various tape products.  I do not
know about SCSI jukeboxes.

I would go to bacula.org and read some of the documentation.  The online
documentation is fairly extensive.  Bacula is certainly less costly than
commercial solutions and support from the mailing list is quite good.

Alex