[csw-users] Problems with new Gnome on Solaris9/Sparc

Alessio Cervellin a.cervellin at virgilio.it
Thu Aug 24 11:25:52 CEST 2006

> I used the semester break to do my semiannual "pkg-get -uU"  on the
big
> sunray server of our institute (Solaris9/Sparc) and have, for the
first time, serious
> problems. Perhaps someone should put a big red
warning sign
>  "At this moment, 'unstable' really means unstable!!"
> on the blastwave home page?

I totally agree.
Anyway on the other
side, it must be admitted that "unstable" means "unstable", and there
is always been a disclaimer about that: use it at your own risk.
Also,
current problems with unstable (especially gnome) have been discussed a
lot on this mailing list recently.

> Now, something at least seems to
work, but there are still many problems:
>  - gnome-terminal sometimes
crashes when pressing a menu button
> - the gnome settings daemon
crashes from time to time
> - The clock applet seems to be
missing.
> - gnome-volume-control gives the startup error
>   "No
volume control gstreamer plugins or devices found"
> Please, help me.
Is there something trivial I overlook?

nope, they are mostly known
issues.

> Should I better go back to Gnome 2.8?

probably it would be
better

> Is someone running the new Gnome on Sol9 without those
problems?

no, problems are known.

> Or do all the blastwave
developers use Solaris 10?

no, packages are usually tested on a wide
range of systems (sol 8, 9, 10, 11 x86 & sparc)