[csw-users] Resistance ?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed Apr 11 15:12:56 CEST 2007

> Dennis Clarke <blastwave at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The one argument that you will get thrown at you is that you can not
>> trust the logn term existence of a community project.
>
> You might hear that, yes - but can you trust the long term existence
> of a company or a commercial product? Can you? How? What makes you think
> that? Is it not thinkable, that a "hostile" company buys another company
> and then stops the production of a certain program?

  Well, if I apply that line of thinking along with the multiple interjected
little question marks then the answer is no. You cannot trust anything.
The sun will burn out in a few billion years. Long before that we can
expect another ice age. Possibly bad weather. Also, I will be dead. So
will everyone that you know and all these corporations will be less than a
historical footnote.

  So .. over and period of time you can depend on nothing and no one.

  There .. having said that you really have a hard time debating the
existence of this community project as well as the software released. It
exists today, yesterday and probably for quite some time now. So if you
want to hand roll your own because you can not depend on any given vendor
then thats fine. Just know that you may be totally right and wrong at the
same time.

> IMO the argument that you, Dennis, brought up is totally flawed. Especially
> if we're talking about (now) large projects as Blastwave, OpenSolaris,
> Debian, ...
>
> (Yes, I know that you, Dennis, did not mean it that way.)

  I think I was trying to simply say that we are here.  For any given short
sample of time you will see the project exists. If that sample window gets
too large then you will see that nothing exists.  I think that maybe the
limit of the average mass of the universe as time approaches infinity will
be zero.

  nothing exists ?

  how ever will I send this email ?   :-)

Dennis