[csw-users] Initial Solaris Installation and Blastwave Package Installation

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Tue Sep 11 15:18:14 CEST 2007

> I was wonder, does it make sense to install the minimal Solaris 10 OS
> packages and then install only the blastwave software packages. For
> instance, if I wanted the gnome enviroment. I would install Solaris without
> gnome then install it with 'pkg-get install gnome' after setting up the
> blastwave pkg-gt.conf file. I ask because my gnome setup is acting up where
> the gnome-panels don't load.  I assume  its because I have Sol10 package
> libraries and Blastwave packages where dependencies are in conflict. Any
> help is appreciated.
>
> tflande

I sometimes do testing like this.

If one thinks about it, the stack of software from Blastwave has pretty much
every software feature that you would get in stock Solaris 10 plus about
1000 other software packages. The libraries and dependencies are built to
resolve within the /opt/csw file tree and only link with SUN provided
packages when absolutely needed. Our build of bash is actually up to date
where the version that comes with Solaris 10 update 4 is still lagging way
behind.

The GNOME suite is very large and a lot of work goes into testing it. i have
personally poured endless nights and days into testing. It will work all on
its own stand-alone in Solaris 8 upwards.

That was always the plan.

In fact, one could easily build an OpenSolaris based distro with just core
functions in it and then drag in the Blastwave software for userland stuff.

Dennis