[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Fri Sep 14 23:56:03 CEST 2007

> James Lee wrote:
>
>>On 9/12/07, 6:35:06 AM, Anil Gulecha <anil.verve at gmail.com> wrote regarding
>>[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:
>>

>>>I was wondering why blastwave supports solaris 8 & above, and not 10
>>>and above?
>>>

>>Because people including myself have Solaris 8 systems.
>>

> you like working on really slow systems?
>
>>>Perhaps I'm uneducated as to the number of actual users of
>>>8 & 9.
>>>

>>As a Solaris user yourself I hope you appreciate the efforts Blastwave
>>makes to support minority computer users.
>>

> I, for one, do not understand why blastwave insists on supporting a
> 7 year old operating system as it's base.  the amount of bad press
> blastwave gets for it's bloat (especially on solaris 9, 10 and nevada
> based systems) out weighs it's usefulness to the marginal fringe who
> insist on staying on Solaris 8.  Solaris 8 is dead for intensive purposes.
> Yeah, there are folks running Win 3.1 and Win 95 and Win98 and Solaris
> 2.5.1, 2.6 and 7.  so what.
>
> No only that, but the amount of work required to make it all work on a
> dead OS when Solaris 10 is really a premeire OS, is just beyond me,
> not to mention we are coming up on 3 years of Solaris 10 being released.
>
> I really hope Gazelle will find it's legs.

 Gazelle will find its legs when we have another meeting and decide on a
statement of work and then proceed. I am ready with GRUB2 and I think we
can bring in Martin Bochnig and Jorg Schilling and bingo .. we have all the
talent we need to get going.

 Blastwave does what it does because there are still downloads, every day,
from ibiblio.org ( berlios is bigger I think ) for Solaris 8 Sparc users
that amounts to 50% of the traffic.  Regardless of the marketing or the age
of Solaris 10 you will have to agree to the facts that a large amount of
the Solaris users out there are on Solaris 8 and Solaris 9.  Solaris 10 may
be 50% now but not in the x86 world.  In the x86 world Solaris 10 dominates
with 60% of the users and the rest are all on Nevada.

But I am only looking at the last ten days and only ibiblio and thus *only*
100,000+ installs.

But hey .. let's talk about Gazelle.

Look forwards not backwards.

Dennis