[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Ben Taylor John.B.Taylor at Sun.COM
Fri Sep 14 23:41:50 CEST 2007

James Lee wrote:

>On 9/12/07, 6:35:06 AM, Anil Gulecha <anil.verve at gmail.com> wrote regarding
>[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:
>

>>I was wondering why blastwave supports solaris 8 & above, and not 10
>>and above?
>>

>Because people including myself have Solaris 8 systems.

you like working on really slow systems?

>>Perhaps I'm uneducated as to the number of actual users of
>>8 & 9.
>>

>As a Solaris user yourself I hope you appreciate the efforts Blastwave
>makes to support minority computer users.

I, for one, do not understand why blastwave insists on supporting a
7 year old operating system as it's base.  the amount of bad press
blastwave gets for it's bloat (especially on solaris 9, 10 and nevada
based systems) out weighs it's usefulness to the marginal fringe who
insist on staying on Solaris 8.  Solaris 8 is dead for intensive purposes.
Yeah, there are folks running Win 3.1 and Win 95 and Win98 and Solaris
2.5.1, 2.6 and 7.  so what.

No only that, but the amount of work required to make it all work on a
dead OS when Solaris 10 is really a premeire OS, is just beyond me,
not to mention we are coming up on 3 years of Solaris 10 being released.

I really hope Gazelle will find it's legs.