[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 23:06:46 CEST 2007

1. Blastwave proposed to end the development of
Solaris 8 packages by Q4 of Y2007. This was something
discussed by the maintainers and Dennis Clarke can
further answer that question (i.e. he has the majority
vote). The Solaris 8 CSW repository was to be archived
for snapshot purposes and no longer under primary
support.

2. Solaris 10 will move to primary support on
Blastwave (still pending).

This initiative not only helps developers and
maintainers - but Sun as well. Although many users and
system admins may use Solaris 8 due to mainly older
hardware and software incompatibility issues today
with Solaris 10 - this will become less of an issue as
more admins gain experience with the use of Solaris 8
zones under Solaris 10 and newer hardware is migrated.

Why not Solaris 9?? Well, it is not worth it since
Solaris 9 dropped sun4d and began dropping sun4m
support in later versions. With Solaris 10 being
released, Solaris 9 hardware support concerns were
just "not worth it" in ROI subject areas dealing with
legacy hardware support and desktop support.

>From a true cost model, Blastwave already can support
Soalris 8 wel into the future with its current
stable/unstable repositories with little further
change for the next two years. Continual support
though would only be a costly venture in continual
maintenance and operational overhead.

- Ken Mays

----- Previously on Blastwave CSW-Users...
-------------
 17.09.2007 16:54 Ben Taylor said the following:

> As I pointed out in another discussion, QEMU has to
be
> compiled on it's own version, especially if using
the KQEMU
> accelerator.  There are specific sets of things that
go missing
> or change as we go backwards from Solaris 10.
Jonathan
> Wheeler is dealing with such an issue on libxine,
and having
> talked to those developers, they wondered why anyone
would
> bother with libxine on such an old platform.

Ihsan Dogan said: If we would drop the support for
Solaris 8, we still have to support
Solaris 9, which is not EOL yet. If we support Solaris
9, then you also
can support 8, because the difference is really not
big.

> Hell, blastwave doesn't even have a gcc for x86-64
that can
> compile 64-bit apps.

Ihsan said: You opened a bug for that?