[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Ihsan Dogan ihsan at blastwave.org
Mon Sep 17 22:24:17 CEST 2007

on 17.09.2007 16:54 Ben Taylor said the following:

> As I pointed out in another discussion, QEMU has to be
> compiled on it's own version, especially if using the KQEMU
> accelerator.  There are specific sets of things that go missing
> or change as we go backwards from Solaris 10.  Jonathan
> Wheeler is dealing with such an issue on libxine, and having
> talked to those developers, they wondered why anyone would
> bother with libxine on such an old platform.

If we would drop the support for Solaris 8, we still have to support
Solaris 9, which is not EOL yet. If we support Solaris 9, then you also
can support 8, because the difference is really not big.

> Hell, blastwave doesn't even have a gcc for x86-64 that can
> compile 64-bit apps.

Have you opened a bug for that?

> I know Solaris 8 is out there. Hell, I know folks still on 2.4 and
> 2.5.1 because the developers left and they are to afraid to
> move it to a newer OS despite binary compatibility.  But let's
> be realistic, you cannot pay Sun (unless you are a big
> customer, with a big install base of Solaris 8) to install it
> anymore.

2.4 is a different case. It's already EOSL. Solaris 8 is not EOSL.

Ihsan

--
ihsan at dogan.ch		http://blog.dogan.ch/
			http://ihsan.dogan.ch/