[csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?

Dennis Clarke dclarke at blastwave.org
Wed Sep 19 17:36:23 CEST 2007

> On 19/09/07, 15:40:00, Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman at gmail.com> wrote
> regarding Re: [csw-users] Why support Solaris 8 onwards?:

>> > Thank you for your vote of confidence in my ability.  Let me guess,
>> > you don't work in the Public Relations Department of Sun.
>
>> No, he doesn't. If you want to talk to someone in the PR Department at
>> Sun, why don't you give them a call and chat them up.
>
> I trust they would not be so insulting.
>

>> Here's the hard truth about your current abilities insofar as Solaris
>> 10 is concerned
>
> All I said was I can't see any profit in spending money upgrading
> systems that work, others have agreed.
>

>> If you were a MS Windows shop, you would be developing on Windows
>> 2000. If you were a Mac shop, you would be developing on Mac OS 9.
>
> I'm not.

Did you guys read this ?
 http://lists.blastwave.org/pipermail/users/2007-September/005570.html

It is more forward looking. I don't want to squabble in the trenches over
something that should be abundantly clear by now. Solaris 8 is quickly
becoming a dead user base and those are numbers from our actual user
downloads. This is not fabrication or conjecture. The data is there to look
at and you really should look at it. I certainly did.

A little *healthy* debate would be a good thing.

Dennis