[csw-users] gnome and kde window managers in stable repository

Fechner, Jon L. Jon.Fechner at tellabs.com
Mon Jul 28 21:44:57 CEST 2008

Blastwave users -

I am trying to install Gnome and KDE window managers from the latest
stable repository and something looks a little weird and I don't know if
it is by design or if there is actually something wrong.

To install I used:

Pkg-get -i gnomedesktop kde_gcc

Those are the packages that looked to get me what I needed.  However,
after installing gnome doesn't show up as a valid login environment and
the list of packages available in the unstable repository doesn't seem
to match those in the stable repository. The biggy being the package
called 'gnome' itself. Is there a reason for this?

As for KDE, it does show up as a valid login environment after
installing, but when chosen it is essentially empty and very few
applications are even available in the menus.  The one that really
sticks out is that there is no 'kterm'.

Any help explaining this to me would be appreciated. If this is by
design and I should be using the unstable repository for Gnome and/or
KDE then I can do that, however, I am in a corporate environment so I
hoped to use stable.

Thanks in advance!!

-Jon

Jon Fechner

Information Technology

Engineering Tools

Office:   630-798-6501

Mobile: 630-605-6506

jon.fechner at tellabs.com

and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reproduction,
dissemination or distribution of this communication is strictly
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Tellabs