[csw-users] Trouble Getting My Account To Load Blastwave Gnome

Ben Taylor Ben.Taylor at Sun.COM
Wed May 7 16:56:47 CEST 2008

Ken Flick wrote:
> Ben Taylor wrote:
>

>> besides the fact that SunGnome is 2.6 and Blastwave Gnome
>> is like 2.16, and the init files for Gnome 2.6 and 2.16 are
>> completely incompatible.  You need a separate home dir
>> to do this.
>>
>> Ben
>>

> Can you please clarify what you mean by a separate home dir?
I run live upgrade on my laptop, and therefore run
Solaris10U4 and Solaris Express.  I use two separate
home directories because the initialization files between
Solaris 10's Gnome 2.6 and Solaris Express's Gnome
2.2x are sufficiently different that if I go back to S10,
the login I used there hopelessly confused Gnome 2.6

As you've made mention that you use failsafe when
things don't work, you can always adjust your
path once you get to the failsafe terminal (for
either Sun Gnome or Blastwave Gnome [/opt/csw/bin
is before /usr/bin]) and start gnome-session in the
terminal to help diagnose what the problem is.

> I understand that the two different Gnomes are incompatible. No one else
> on our servers has a separate home dir.
The question would be whether they've ever started Gnome 2.6
and then went to Blastwave Gnome, or vice versa.

If you've done either, the chances are that your config files
are causing you part of the problem.  Either that, or
you have a PATH'ing issue.
> Also there is no home dir under
> /opt/csw. Our home dirs are under /home in the root file system dir.

oh, that's pretty.  Are you using the automounter?

Ben