[csw-users] berkeleydb in flux

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 10 22:22:38 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

Am 10.08.2009 um 04:41 schrieb Daniel Trinkle:
> Philip Brown wrote:
>> Warning to CSW users: the upgrade of berkeleydb in 'current' has
>> caused
>> some unforseen side effects. Some things may break, if you upgrade
>> berkeleydb at this time.
>> We are working to rebuild known affected packages to use the newer
>> version
>> instead.  Please only upgrade with caution.
>
> Unfortunately, this also has a disastrous effect on anything outside
> OpenCSW built against the libraries.  When built against explicit
> versions (i.e. /opt/csw/bdb43), I think it is a reasonable
> expectation that that will continue to be version 4.3.x -- not
> capriciously change to an incompatible 4.7.x version.

Is it really incompatible? With the symlinks in place there shouldn't
be a difference for most applications as BDB is ABI-compatible. If
there are any problems please post them! It is important that we are
aware of any issues that arise.

> I can understand changing bdb4 to the latest version (though this
> breaks things as well), but making bdb43, bdb44, etc reference
> another version is guaranteed to cause problems.
>
> At the very least the description and version information in the
> packages (CSWbdb4, CSWbdb43, CSWbdb44) should accurately reflect
> that the packages are now a reference to the current version.  This
> would help in tracking down problems and also provide meaningful
> information from "pkg-get compare".  Unfortunately it told me I was
> getting "4.2.52,REV=2009.07.28" (CSWbdb),
> "4.3.29,REV=2009.06.26" (CSWbdb43) and
> "4.4.20,REV=2009.07.28" (CSWbdb44) which clearly is not the case.

I see, we are currently in the discussion on how to best proceed from
here
and putting the 4.7.x version in the stub-packages would really be an
honest
thing.