[csw-users] I don't know what pkg or pkgs are broken....

Aaron Wilson aaron at ernieball.com
Sat May 30 00:11:21 CEST 2009

but the other day i did an upgrade of all the csw packages on three
separate machines. Now neither of those three machines will shutdown or
reboot with out having to kill it with the power switch. They would just
hang at when it shuts down all the services. All three machines are Sun
Ultra 20's.

On one of the machines I just did a fresh install of Solaris 10 U7. It
was shutting down and rebooting just fine post install. Once again I
installed the csw packages and it hangs at rebooting and shutting down.
  It gets a little bit further. Now I get to the stopping syslogd message.

I haven't had a chance to look at the logs yet.

But I have feeling it would do the same thing to our v20z sunray servers
if we ever rebooted them or shut them down. I upgraded them about two
weeks ago. One of them has been quirky ever since then. Post login takes
a good two minutes before you can launch any programs.

We pretty much only install/use evince, gedit, pidgin, cups, and
gnome-terminal and of course whatever preregs they require.

I don't know if it matters but we usually use opencsw vs blastwave and
download from the Purdue mirror.

Sorry I'm not more descriptive of what package seems to be the culprit.
Don't really see how csw pkgs could prevent the computer from shutting
down either unless there is some csw SMF or csw init.d script that is
jacked up.

Is anyone else having similar issues? I can easily recreate the problem
so I don't see how I can be alone.

Aaron.