[csw-users] libgnu_dev

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 5 16:36:10 CET 2011

Hi Ben,

Am 05.12.2011 um 15:58 schrieb Ben Walton:
> Excerpts from Mark R Bannister's message of Mon Dec 05 09:53:29 -0500 2011:
>> I thought your package would help Dago, but you don't have any argp
>> symbols in libgnu.a, even though you have prototypes for them in
>> argp.h.
>
> ...snip...
>
>> So it'd be nice to include the functions in the library if you're
>> going to put the prototypes in the header file.
>
> This could simply be an artifact of the gnulib dependency system.
> It's entirely possible that one of the modules that is compiled in had
> a header-only dependency on argp.h and thus the file gets imported.
> If nothing required argp.c and it wasn't explicitly imported, a
> header-only version could end up in libgnu_dev.
>
> This can be fixed by explicitly requesting that module from gnulib.

Correct, the gnulib.a I built was for the ./posix-modules which does not include argp.
I am not sure how to proceed from here, should the package aim for posix-compliance
or just include what it has got to offer? Or do we want "dynamic" GAR support where
you just specifiy what you want and GAR makes a static lib in one go and provides linker
flags for that?