[csw-users] libgnu_dev

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Dec 5 16:54:41 CET 2011

Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Mon Dec 05 10:36:10 -0500 2011:
> > This can be fixed by explicitly requesting that module from gnulib.
>
> Correct, the gnulib.a I built was for the ./posix-modules which does
> not include argp.  I am not sure how to proceed from here, should
> the package aim for posix-compliance or just include what it has got
> to offer? Or do we want "dynamic" GAR support where you just
> specifiy what you want and GAR makes a static lib in one go and
> provides linker flags for that?

I think this sounds like a good approach.  Aside from the set marked
as POSIX, I don't think there is a one size fits all way to build
this.  GAR support would be very nice indeed.

I've been playing with gnulib a bit more and I think the gnulib-tool
--create-testdir option might be a nice way to achieve this.  The
module list can be passed from GAR, the libgnu.a built and then link
flags added to the remaining, normal build.  It's similar to what I
was whacking away at last week but built in and likely cleaner.

Ultimately it would be nice to integrate gnulib directly into the
projects though.  It's more work, but it's more portable.  I'm willing
to help people do this as I've done it a few times now.  Mark, would
this be of interest?  Which project are you building?

Thanks
-Ben
--
Ben Walton