[csw-users] Running pkgutil and OpenCSW as non-root?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 08:40:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm hoping to use pkgutil and OpenCSW is a rather locked-down environment,
where we do not have root access to the boxes.

Basically, I need to run pkgutil as a normal user, and have it install all
packages/libraries into it's own prefix (we do have a common directory which
we have ownership of).

Are there any notes or tricks we could use to achieve this? I couldn't seem
to find anything on the wiki, and the nearest thing I could find was an old
blog post from 2009, which involves simply extracting Solaris SVR4 packages,
not quite what I wanted:

http://blogs.oracle.com/LetTheSunShineIn/entry/non_root_install_of_blastwave

*1. Getting pkg-util*

The first step is to get pkgutil. I have version 2.4 downloaded from here:

http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental/bonivart/pkgutil-2.4,REV=2011.06.29-SunOS5.9-all-CSW.pkg

Since I don't have root access, I simply ran pkgtrans to get the actual
files. I can run the pkgutil perl script itself, however I'm not sure what
to do with the other required files in the archive (e.g. admin, etc,
wget-i386/sparc etc.).

How should I install properly pkg-util to run as non-root under a specific
prefix (e.g. /my_prefix/)?

*2. Running pkg-util*

I saw it mentioned here, for version 2.0 of pkgutil that it has non-root
abilities, but I'm not sure how to trigger this:

http://pkgutil.wikidot.com/release-history#toc4

What's the best way of running pkg-util as non-root, and having it install
into our own prefix?

*3. Local OpenCSW Mirror*
*
*
The other issue is that we don't have direct access from these machines to
the internet (due to firewalling).

What steps would I take to setup our own local OpenCSW mirror within our
network (we probably can guess root access to this machine, assuming it
doesn't have to be Solaris, and setup a webserver of our choice), and how
should we go about pointing our pkg-util utility at this instance?

Cheers,
Victor