[csw-users] Wrong ELF class - ELFCLASS32?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 27 09:26:06 CEST 2011

> Hi,

I have two Solaris sytems, one which we have root-access for and the other
only a normal user account.

On the system for which we have root, I've installed pkg-util and some
OpenCSW packages (e.g. vim, bz2ip, gdb etc.).

I've then tarred up the /opt/csw directory, and transferred it to the other
system in which we only have limited access (and write access only to ~ and
"/db/pub/eq").

I then set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the /db/pub/eq/csw/opt/csw/lib
directory.

I then try to run the programs (yes, I do know this whole thing is a dirty,
dirty hack, but this was the quickest way of getting a decent development
buildchain up on the limited-access system).

Some of them (e.g. vim, ruby or Python) do work.

Others, however, give an ELFCLASS32 error:

bash$ ./bzip2
> ld.so.1: bzip2: fatal: /db/pub/eq/csw/opt/csw/lib/libbz2.so.1.0: wrong ELF
> class: ELFCLASS32
> Killed

bash$ ./gdb
> ld.so.1: gdb: fatal: /db/pub/eq/csw/opt/csw/lib/libncurses.so.5: wrong ELF
> class: ELFCLASS32
> Killed

Uname on the root-access box (on which OpenCSW was installed):

SunOS puppet 5.11 snv_151a i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris

Uname on the limited-access box (where we are trying to run the tranplanted
binaries):

SunOS eqaegd05 5.10 Generic_144489-06 i86pc i386 i86pc

Both bzip2 and libbz2.so appear to be 32-bit (at least from what I can
tell):

bash$ file bzip2
> bzip2:          ELF 32-bit LSB executable 80386 Version 1 [FPU],
> dynamically linked, not stripped, no debugging information available
> bash$ file ../lib/libbz2.so
> ../lib/libbz2.so:       ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib 80386 Version 1 [FPU],
> dynamically linked, stripped

What would be causing this error? And how would I fix it?

Cheers,
Victor