[csw-users] Installing OpenCSW via pkgutil, and to /usr/local?

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 29 08:57:12 CEST 2011

Em 28/07/2011 01:36, "Victor Hooi" <victorhooi at yahoo.com> escreveu:

> heya,
>
> Awesome, relocatable packages  sound great =).

To be strict about the terminology, relocatable packages are something
different. A relocatable package is one that defines BASEDIR in pkginfo and
allows itself be installed at any location. In this case, we talk about
rebuilding all packages as non-relocatable, but at a different prefix.

> Many organisations (including mine) do have arbitrary rules about this.
For example, my workplace will let us install (or rather, they'll install on
our behalf) packages into /usr/local.

> However, we can't install (or even create a symlink, apparently) into
/opt. Very strange, but we have to work with it unfortunately =(.

> I'd be happy to test any such builds, or help out in any way I can.

Cool, I will post more information when I run my builds.

> For example, with the help of the mailing list, I've managed to fix my
WRONG ELF CLASS errors, yet running emacs gives me:

>> bash$ ./emacs
>> Warning: arch-dependent data dir
(/opt/csw/libexec/emacs/23.1/i386-pc-solaris2.8/) does not exist.
>> Warning: arch-independent data dir (/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/etc/) does
not exist.
>> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp' does not
exist.
>> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
>> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/lisp' does not exist.
>> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/leim' does not exist.
>> Error: charsets directory (/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets) does
not exist.
>> Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
>> Please check your installation!
>> Cannot open load file: warnings

I imagine there must be approximately a bazillion places where packages
hardcode locations to /opt/csw. An emacs expert maybe could help.

> Finally - for a userspace package manager, what do you mean? Do you mean
the ability to install/remove packages from filesystem locations we have
read/write access to? (e.g. our sysadmins can grant us access to
/usr/local). Because I thought pkg-util ultimately just delegated to
pkgadd/pkgrm, which require root access anyhow?

I imagine a reimplementation of pkgadd / pkgremove that doesn't require
root.

Maciej