[csw-users] Installing OpenCSW via pkgutil, and to /usr/local?

Victor Hooi victorhooi at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 02:35:36 CEST 2011

heya,

Awesome, relocatable packages  sound great =).

Many organisations (including mine) do have arbitrary rules about this. For
example, my workplace will let us install (or rather, they'll install on our
behalf) packages into /usr/local.

However, we can't install (or even create a symlink, apparently) into /opt.
Very strange, but we have to work with it unfortunately =(.

I'd be happy to test any such builds, or help out in any way I can.

For example, with the help of the mailing list, I've managed to fix my WRONG
ELF CLASS errors, yet running emacs gives me:

bash$ ./emacs
> Warning: arch-dependent data dir
> (/opt/csw/libexec/emacs/23.1/i386-pc-solaris2.8/) does not exist.
> Warning: arch-independent data dir (/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/etc/) does
> not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp' does not
> exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/site-lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/lisp' does not exist.
> Warning: Lisp directory `/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/leim' does not exist.
> Error: charsets directory (/opt/csw/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets) does not
> exist.
> Emacs will not function correctly without the character map files.
> Please check your installation!
> Cannot open load file: warnings

Finally - for a userspace package manager, what do you mean? Do you mean the
ability to install/remove packages from filesystem locations we have
read/write access to? (e.g. our sysadmins can grant us access to
/usr/local). Because I thought pkg-util ultimately just delegated to
pkgadd/pkgrm, which require root access anyhow?

Cheers,
Victor