[csw-users] Clarification regarding release branches

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Fri Dec 14 15:30:30 CET 2012

Even though I reread the "Which catalog should I use", "Latest
announcements" and "Release branches" pages on the website, I have to say I
am still confused by what is going on with the CSW releases.

I'm still pulling from the "current" release which has seen no updates for
some time.  It is unclear whether current and dublin are identical, but I
have been assuming that they are.

My best understanding is that volatile "testing" packages later move into
"unstable", and then finally migrate to kiel, which is scheduled as the
next full package release.  Is that correct?  When kiel goes live, will it
become the new "current" repository?  But from comments made on some of the
above referenced pages, it looks like a number of packages may be dropped
from the kiel release as compared to dublin.  Is that also correct?  And
finally, it looks like a number of user-oriented, non-server packages (for
example, gimp) are no longer being maintained.  Is that correct?

I think an expanded discussion of these issues placed on the "release
branches" page would be helpful.  My inability to really understand what
the current philosophy is with CSW is making me reluctant to update, as I
do not feel confident that if I do so, everything I currently rely upon
will continue to work.  Any clarification would be appreciated.
--
C. Jeffery Small